The holiday season is upon us and it's time to check in before the chaos starts. However, if you are reading this in the midst of the chaos, then take a deep breath and follow these simple steps.
- Learn to say no. You might not make everyone happy and that is ok. You need to avoid overcommitting yourself and think about doing events and visiting the people that you want to spend your free time with.
- On that note, take a day off. A day off from work, from social gatherings, from shopping, etc. Take a day to get your shit together or simple binge watch corny holiday movies with some hot chocolate. Perhaps you need to give yourself a spa day with a bath, face mask, and painting your nails. Or maybe you're like me and want to binge on Keeping up with the Kardashians!
- Drink water. By all means eat some turkey and potatoes, go for that glasses or two, or three of wine but just drink some water in-between. Between the alcohol and the salty food, you might start to feel some water retention in your hands, face and feet. Indulge in some holiday goodies but if you can try to maintain one thing, I always encourage drinking water.
- Eat well but don't restrict yourself. Please don't be hard on yourself if you ate some holiday cookies, had a few more glasses of wine than usual, or enjoyed a holiday feast. These things are a part of life! On the days you aren't in party and holiday mode, try to eat well balanced meals and sneak in some extra nutrients with a smoothie or big Buddha bowl.
- Sleep, please!! Sleep is so key for different functions in our bodies including our IMMUNE SYSTEM which tends to take an extra hit during the winter and when we are surrounded by a lot of people. Get in some zzz's and sleep in if need be.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispy Squares
- 2.5 cups puffed quinoa
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 cups peanut butter (or more - see directions)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 250 gram bag dairy free chocolate
- add peanut butter and maple to a saucepan on low-medium heat and stir until it melts.
- Remove from heat and stir in quinoa puffs.
- Spread mixture into a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Put in freezer while you make the topping
- Add chocolate and coconut oil to a sauce pan on low-medium heat and stir until melted.
- Option 1: Pour over quinoa puff mixture and let sit in freezer for 3 hours then move to fridge
- Option 2: Spread a layer of peanut butter over quinoa puff mixture then add chocolate layer to prevent chocolate from seeping into quinoa puff mixture. Let sit in freezer for 3 hours then move to fridge.