Ok we all love creamy pasta and we all love a good pasta sauce but maybe not the dairy...
I wanted to create a super-rich and unique tasting sauce that also snuck in a few extra veggies. The best part about this creamy pasta sauce is that is can also be used in salads and on roasted veggies.
This recipe makes a big batch so you will have lots leftover to add to other dishes as well.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 package of chickpea pasta
- 2-3 medium potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp minimum sea salt. This recipe makes 4-6 large servings so I would add salt, taste and adjust from there. You can always add more at the end of the recipe.
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- avocado oil for sauteeing
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 heads of broccoli (but would highly recommend!)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil
- While waiting for the water to boil sauté the onion in a frying pan with a little avocado oil until softened
- Optional: in a separate frying pan, saute the broccoli with oil, salt and pepper until softened
- Once the large pot of water is boiling add the potato and the carrot
- While the potatoes and carrots are cooking you can go ahead and cook your pasta as per the instructions
- In the meantime add the minced garlic, onion powder, sea salt, pepper, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, soaked cashews, lemon juice and coconut milk to the food processor.
- If the onion is ready, you can also add that as well. Blend until partially smooth.
- Don't worry about getting it perfectly smooth since you still have to add more veggies.
- Once the potatoes and carrots are soft, remove them from the water and add them to the food processor.
- Blend on high until smooth. If there is a lot of steam, you may need to let some air out.
- Give it a taste and add more salt if needed! You can also add more nutritional yeast if you want it to have a cheesier flavor.
- Add about half of the sauce to the cooked pasta and add the broccoli if you made it.
- Top with additional black pepper and sea salt